Friday, November 2, 2012

DAY 207 - Watch Your Mouth! Guard Your Heart! (請按此處收聼廣東話Cantonese podcast click here)


Today's Reading: Matthew 15: 10-20

**For a simple and good way of Daily Devotion method please click this link: Subject Shifting Devotion.pdf.
Please click this link to read Matthew 15: 10-20

Bible Study

This is the second part of yesterday's message.
N.T. Wright says:
     Jesus point is that words reveal what the person contains, deep down...
The actions which make someone unclean, unfit for God's holy presence, are things like murder, adultery, fornication and the rest.  The motivations which point towards such actions give themselves away in thoughts and words which come bubbling up from the depths of the personality, showing that, whatever outward purity codes the person may keep, the innermost self of that person needs to be changed if they are to be what God intended and wanted.
So this discussion isn't simply about whether Jesus and his followers keep the traditions that the Pharisees maintained and tried to urge on other Jews.  The discussion is about what Go really wants his people to be like, and how this desire can be fulfilled.  Here and elsewhere Jesus is addressing the deep question - which to be sure many of his contemporaries, including many of the Pharisees themselves, were well aware of: how can the human heart be made pure?

That's from Bishop Wright, so how can you make your heart pure?

Let's have a time to be still and give the Holy Spirit space to speak through the passage of scripture we have just read. Offer this time up to Jesus as you listen to him, while listening to "Gabriel's Oboe"




Spiritual Journal


What I heard from Jesus today is: Watch your mouth! Guard your heart!

Jesus reminds me today of several passages from Psalms, Proverbs and Luke about the importance of guarding your heart:

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
 and renew a steadfast spirit within me.             Psalm 51: 10

If I had cherished sin in my heart,
 the Lord would not have listened.                     Psalm 66: 18

Teach me your way, O Lord,
 and I will walk in your truth;
 give me an undivided heart,
 that I may fear your name.                             Psalm 87: 11

Praise the Lord, O my soul;
 all my inmost being, praise his holy name.         Psalm 103: 1

My heart is not proud, O Lord,
 my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
 of things too wonderful for me.
But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
 like a weaned child with its mother,
 like a weaned child is my soul within me.           Psalm 131: 1-2

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
 and lean not on your own understanding;
 in all your ways acknowledge him,
 and he will make your paths straight.                Proverbs 3: 5-6

Above all else, guard your heart,                     Proverbs 4: 23
 for it is the wellspring of life. 

In his heart a man plans his course,
 but the Lord determines his steps.                    Proverbs 16: 9

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
 but the Lord tests the heart.                            Proverbs 17: 3

A cheerful heart is good medicine,
 but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.             Proverbs 17: 22

My soul glorifies the Lord
 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.           Luke 1: 46

                          

If we cannot guard our heart, we have no way to watch our mouth. 
What Jesus told me today is very, very important. When the Lord talks about our heart towards being with God, worshiping God, glorifying God and Rejoicing in God, the Bible uses "my soul" and "my spirit".

So, if we cannot guard our heart then we can't be able to watch our mouth and we do not know how to get in touch with our soul and spirit! Wow! That's a great finding for me today!

Thank you Lord!

Praise the Lord, O my soul;
 all my inmost being, praise his holy name.         Psalm 103: 1


Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for uplifting my soul and my spirit today to be with you, to worship you and to rejoice in you. Lead me to walk with you that I can glorify your Holy Name each day.  In Jesus name we pray. Amen.



Please click this link to worship with us - Cares Chorus

Chinese praise song - 愛是不保留 Unreserved Love


You can subscribe to my podcast feed here:http://feeds.feedburner.com/discipler123



You may choose to follow my first blog which I started in July 2009:http://bishopsilas.blogspot.com/

好! 良善的僕人!

  楊平忠大主教領受 "使命113"異象之見證 Archbishop Yong’s MISSION 113 videos, October 16, 2022: https://youtu.be/Mp0-JPx4Vac https://youtu.be/MyO6...