Saturday, May 28, 2016

OT DAY 491 - Walk As Your Father David Did, Do As I Command (Please click here for English podcast)

Silence

1.   Put on your “brakes” and stop for a moment of silence
2.   Wait for God. Breathe deep for God's peace and feel His presence. Exhale your worries.

Praise and Thanksgiving

1.   Think through your day, all the times that made you smile
2.   Thank God for all those moments, and for all those people
3.   Open your heart to praise the Lord

       From you comes my praise in the great congregation;
          my vows I will perform before those who fear him.
                                     Psalm 22:25

Confession and Repentance (Subjective Shifting Devotion Method http://bishopsilas.blogspot.ca/2009/08/count-down-5-subject-shifting-devotion.html)

1.  Pray for the Holy Spirit to work in you:

     “Dear Holy Spirit, shine your light into the places of darkness in my life. Show me my sins, everything that blocks me from encountering God. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”

2.  Through the Holy Spirit, examine yourself for a short silence and then pray:

     "Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for dying on the cross for our sins and being victorious over death and sin. I confess my sin to you(pause, to tell Jesus what the Holy Spirit has shown you). Forgive my sins by your blood and help me follow you. Holy Spirit, fill me that I may be able to receive your gift to love God and His people. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen."

The Word (1 Kings 9:1-9)


      As soon as Solomon had finished building the house of the Lord and the king's house and all that Solomon desired to build, the Lord appeared to Solomon a second time, as he had appeared to him at Gibeon. And the Lord said to him, “I have heard your prayer and your plea, which you have made before me. I have consecrated this house that you have built, by putting my name there forever. My eyes and my heart will be there for all time. And as for you, if you will walk before me, as David your father walked, with integrity of heart and uprightness, doing according to all that I have commanded you, and keeping my statutes and my rules, then I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever, as I promised David your father, saying, ‘You shall not lack a man on the throne of Israel.’ But if you turn aside from following me, you or your children, and do not keep my commandments and my statutes that I have set before you, but go and serve other gods and worship them, then I will cut off Israel from the land that I have given them, and the house that I have consecrated for my name I will cast out of my sight, and Israel will become a proverb and a byword among all peoples. And this house will become a heap of ruins. Everyone passing by it will be astonished and will hiss, and they will say, ‘Why has the Lord done thus to this land and to this house?’ Then they will say, ‘Because they abandoned the Lord their God who brought their fathers out of the land of Egypt and laid hold on other gods and worshiped them and served them. Therefore the Lord has brought all this disaster on them.’”
                                         1 Kings 9:1-9

Let's have a time to be still and give the Holy Spirit space to speak through the passage we have just read. Offer this time up to Jesus as you listen to him, while listening to "Gabriel's Oboe"

    My Listening

          This chapter follows the glorious dedication of the Temple and King Solomon's excessive offering of twenty-two thousand cattle and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep and goats! Can you imagine how many animals were there lining up to be sacrificed? Then, just as I said in my last post, the first verse comes with a worrying word "fancy". Hinting that Solomon desires all kinds of fancy things but not desire on his relationship with God. Then today's eight verses of God's personal word to Solomon. Not praising him of all those sacrificed animals but a warning to his relationship with God. And, that's all! If you were Solomon, do you think you would catch what God really want to say? 

        Let's see how Professor John Goldingay tells us: 

            So the opening verse begins to raise such questions in our minds, but it doesn't answer them. Instead it segues into the report of a kind of sermon that God preached to Solomon, challenging him about his commitment to God. He needs to take his father David as his model. This might seem a surprising idea. Solomon would know what a mess David made of the second half of his reign. But there was one crucial thing that David stuck by. He was always faithful to Yahweh rather than to other gods. That will be one connection in which the story makes explicit its judgment that Solomon goes astray. It will be his equivalent to the David-Bathsheba-Uriah affair. 

John Goldingay. 1 and 2 Kings for Everyone. Louisville,KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2011, p.47-48.


             It is useless for you to do anything to God, not your money offering, not your time offering, not you doing this and that, not your high position in your church, but LISTEN AND OBEY! 

            To be able to listen to God's voice is already so difficult to so many people because they do not have a David to teach them. Solomon has his father David to teach him how to listen to God's voice. Do you have?

           Then, if you know how to listen, to obey is the real thing!

Dear Lord Jesus,
Lead us to our David who can teach us to listen to you. Help us to be able to obey to you totally.    In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.


Reflect on these questions:
    1. Why God did not praise Solomon for his glorious offering but to preach and warn him at that very moment?

2. Do you have a David who teaches you to listen to God's voice? How well are you to obey God's voice after you are being taught?

    3. What have you got from Jesus today?

10,000 Reasons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDGE_lRI0E


四十天的"破. 立"靈修:

如果你有 Android cel. 請按此處上載程式,可直接一按收聽最近之十次廣播:

破.立 Break.Build: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ideal.bb.app


歡迎你使用三年三個月讀完新舊約聖經blog: 
     http://discipler123.blogspot.com/ 


Today is our 149 days non stop Morning Prayer Monday through Friday 6:30a.m. to 7:30a.m. Saturday 8a.m. to 9:45a.m., Sunday 7:30a.m. to 8:30a.m.

The offering of our First Fruit every morning have changed lots of things: unity, lifestyle, character …and many more!

Pictures this morning at 8:00a.m. Prayer Meeting:








我呼求的日子,所有強敵都要轉身退後!

  楊平忠大主教領受 "使命113"異象之見證 Archbishop Yong’s MISSION 113 videos, October 16, 2022: https://youtu.be/Mp0-JPx4Vac https://youtu.be/MyO6...