3. Open your heart to praise the Lord
But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them ever sing for joy,
and spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may exult in you.
“Dear Holy Spirit, shine your light into the places of darkness in my life. Show me my sins, everything that blocks me from encountering God. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”
"Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for dying on the cross for our sins and being victorious over death and sin. I confess my sin to you(pause, to tell Jesus what the Holy Spirit has shown you). Forgive my sins by your blood and help me follow you. Holy Spirit, fill me that I may be able to receive your gift to love God and His people. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen."
He worked in the desert, the place where no one would go and his only work was to preach the message of repentance and to baptize people. His main job is like any servant of God, to lead people to confess their sins and be willing to be baptized.
That's how John the Baptist prepared the way for Jesus, the King, to come. We are called to follow John's example to prepare the way for Jesus. Matthew wants us to know that to be able to do that job we need a simple and basic life. That's the life Jesus approves and that's the life Jesus lived.
What I received from Jesus today is: it's easy to listen but difficult to follow.
I think most people in this modern world have been pursuing a more than normal lifestyle or even luxurious lifestyle. It is a culture of consumerism. I have been brain-washed by the world's value system since I got my first job in 1979 to buy the best of everything, even what I couldn't afford. I thought at that time the best invention was VISA because I could buy as much as I wanted even though I could not afford it. Jesus changed me slowly through the past 35 years, very slowly. Why? Because I did not want to obey. That's why.
1. Do you see anything wrong with our world's lifestyle of consumerism? (i.e. wanting more money, better house, better entertainment). How do you struggle with consumerism?
3. How do you think a simple lifestyle would affect your life with God and people?
1. What is an important celebration/practice of your family? (i.e. Christmas dinner, gifts, writing cards, celebrations). What do you like about it?
2. How would you describe the lifestyle of your family? Is it simple? Or do you consume many things?
Let's give thanks for God with us. Let us praise Him: